Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read (Frank Zappa)- Comment

Ooh, another rather odd blog topic. Let me discuss one of the most famous rock journalists of the 60's. I've gone to my archives of interesting article I've read and undusted this Washington Post article that I thought was fun. 


If only there were a highlight reel. As one of the first pop music journalists in the business -- the godfather of rock journalism, he was often called -- in the '60s and '70s Al Aronowitz knew everyone worth knowing. The Rolling Stones, Ray Charles, David Bowie, Johnny Cash, Pete Townshend -- he either wrote about them, befriended them or both.


A big deal? Well, it was to the man who arranged it all. "Looking back, I still see that evening as one of the greatest moments of my life," he wrote in a 1995 essay. "Actually, I was well aware at the time that I was brokering the most fruitful union in the history of pop music, certainly up until then," he modestly judged. And he wasn't referring to the dope.


But he was never one to understate his own significance -- and if you had introduced two of the greatest creative forces in the history of rock, maybe you would feel the same way. "The '60s," he once wrote, with no irony, "wouldn't have been the same without me." - Washington Post, 2005.



No comments:

Post a Comment